Skip to main content

Jesus: "The guy who killed the dragon who killed Cinderella."--Confusion and Creativity

As I child of about 5, I'd been asked the question by a Sunday School teacher, "Who is Jesus?"  My five-year old answer? "He's the guy...who killed the dragon who killed Cinderella."  When asked who the Devil was, I answered, "Oh he's a cowboy!"

These highly unorthodox answers wound up being something that adults in my life, especially my mother, mentioned for years to follow.  If you were put it in a box, it would go under the label "Crazy Things Travis did (or said) When Little."  These were stories my mother enjoyed repeating well into my teenage years (the box was far from empty), and without such repetitions I perhaps would have forgotten the entire incident.

I do have a fragment of my own memory of my answers...I remember feeling a bit of goofy pride in myself when adults around me laughed and repeated the story.  But years later, I found myself wondering, "What in the world had I been thinking?"

The Devil answer is stranger than it may first appear, because of my personal backstory:  After I had been born in Deer Lodge, Montana, while I was still a baby, my parents had moved to Olney, MT, several hundred miles north.  About 30 miles or so from the Canadian border, my parents had settled on 60 acres of mostly-forested land.  Some of the land my father cleared and he grew hay on it.  The hay he used to feed our cows and horses through the winter, other land was summer pasture; we also had chickens and rabbits and an enormous vegetable garden--basically a sort of "Perry Little House on the Prairie."  My parents divorced when I was 9 and after that I lived in town with my mom (first in Whitefish and then Bozeman, MT) until I graduated from high school, during which time lost my connection with the life of our small farm.  But my father had grown up working as a ranch hand and always  wore a cowboy hat and boots and still does.  As a matter of fact, so did I as a little kid and I thought of both my father and myself as being, well, "cowboys."

So what had I been saying then?  That the Devil was one of us?  Or maybe that my father was the devil?  The latter explanation may be tempting, given that my father was known to over-indulge in alcohol on a regular basis, but I think the actual answer is far more simple:  There was a Western song (as in Country and Western) called "Ghost Riders in the Sky," which portrayed the devil as having a herd of cattle in the sky and tormented ghost riders forced to herd them.  I think I had heard the song and because of that it seemed reasonable to say, "The Devil is a cowboy."

Mind you, when Mr. and Mrs. Munter drove north 30 plus miles from Kalispell to Olney every Sunday, volunteering to start a Sunday School and a church service, there wasn't a church of any kind in that town.  My parents had some religious knowledge but like typical Montanans, didn't talk about it much.  So I hadn't been educated in any of the proper "churchy" answers to religious questions.  So I'm not even sure I knew the Devil was supposed to be one of the bad guys...but I think I did remember the song.

On the other hand, I'm sure I did  have a sense that Jesus was a good guy.  Which is why I identified him with a dragon-slayer.  I'd like to claim this idea as entirely original, but I think I know where it came from:

Not in Cinderella, but in the Disney film Sleeping Beauty, the witch queen, after casting a death-like sleep over the young princess, transforms herself into a dragon, which is fought and slain by the dashing young prince (with some fairy assistance).  I think I had probably seen the film before I gave my answer, thought of that dragon-slaying hero as the most awesome guy ever, and when asked who Jesus was, I decided that He must be that same man.

So my confusion of the details of the movie, mixing up who the heroine actually was, confusing sleep for death, confusing who was the referenced hero, all wound up creating a kind of original story in which Cinderella most definitely does NOT live "happily ever after."  And my confusion of the details of a song made the Lord of Evil of the same basic type as my own father...though he would wear a black hat, naturally...;)

This leads me to conclude that confusion, an enemy of accuracy, is a friend of creativity.  Many stories--most, even--qualify as other stories retold, with certain elements mixed up.  If as a story teller, you're stumped at coming up with something new, take a look at stories that have already been told.  Tell them again, with the elements confused.  You might find yourself producing something that strikes people as altogether new.

ttp



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Ways to Deal with the Problem Magic Poses Christian Fantasy Writers

First off, what is the problem with magic for Christians? Or sorcery? Or witchcraft? (Are all of those things even the same?) An entire book could be written on this topic (perhaps I'll do that someday) but to keep this as brief as possible, the short reason this is a problem is the Bible has nothing good to say about the practice of magic (neither does extra-Biblical Christian tradition). No translation of Scripture will record the 12 Disciples watching Jesus walk on the water and say, "Wow, that was magical!" Nor is the mana falling from heaven in Israel's wilderness wanderings described as some kind of powerful spell that Moses used, nor even is his rod described as "magic," even though Moses had the power granted to him by God to turn it into a serpent at whatever time he chose. No, the Bible describes events like these as "miracles," or "signs," or "wonders." On the other hand, when the Bible talks about "mag

Peter Jackson's Ring of Power

As Gandalf famously stated in the Fellowship of the Ring, the Ring of Power appealed to the good-hearted and heroic wizard, giving him a desire to use it for good. But in fact, as every LOTR fan knows, it   cannot   be done. The Ring of Power will eventually corrupt every person who attempts to use it into an evil being. Watching the Fellowship of the Ring movie last night reminded me of this principle. The fact that evil   cannot  be used for good is one of the things I love most about The Lord of the Rings. It’s a powerful statement about the attempt human beings make over and over again to gain power supposedly for good—which simply cannot be done by evil means. Not without   becoming   evil. By the way, back when it was first released, I strenuously objected to the plot changes Peter Jackson put into the Fellowship of the Ring. No, for me, the original story was quite good enough and didn’t need to be streamlined or “Hollywoodized” or anything of the sort. When Frodo s

Nanite Infested Aliens

Inspired by the history of Europeans coming to the New World carrying bacteria to which the native inhabitants had little to no immunity, I thought: "What if aliens visiting Earth carried their own sort of infection or infestation, to which we humans had no immunity?" Sort of a War of the Worlds scenario in reverse... But I'm sure that sort of thing has already been done by someone, aliens carrying virulent disease(s) humans don't carry. So what if the infestation were of nanites--what  if nanites become a standard part of healthcare for any advanced technological species? (Just as hand washing and sterilization of medical instruments become standard at a certain point of development--once bacteria are discovered and found to be potentially harmful.) So that nanites are literally crawling all over (and inside) the bodies of high-tech aliens (or perhaps time travelers from Earth's distant future). What if these nanites potentially posed a risk to the human race?