Friday, July 25, 2014

Two Characters Interviewed


Our scene is a tent, someplace dusty, with wind blowing hard outside. I sit across the a wooden table from two men also seated. One I recognize from Colony Zero, the other from Medieval Mars.

  • What are your names?
My name is Simon Chang. Thus says the first man, his openly blind eyes roaming across the room, his broad Asian face adorned with a wide smile.

The second, a lightly built man with close-cropped blond hair and a thin blond mustache, glances nervously at Chang before answering. M-my born name is "Evan." Though by the grace of God, I have become a rider for my Lord Pederson, the Govnor of Mons Ascraeus. So I am now called, "Sir Evan."

  • What one word best describes you?
Chang replies, his arms crossed in front of his simple brown tunic. One word? That's difficult--but I would say I am "faithful."

The full plate armor of the second man clinks slightly as he shuffles on his wooden chair. I-I might have said the same thing. But since it has been said, I will say that I am "loyal."

  • How did you first become involved in the story?
I direct the military on Colony Zero, such as it is. Naturally when trouble arose on the surface--Earthers on the verge of discovering our secret underground dwelling--I was called in to stop them.

Um, I began writing the story of what happened at the point where my Lord declared war on the heretic King of Olympus. Th-though you could say I entered the story earlier, when my Lord came to my defense on the pilgrim road to the Gran Templo at Chryse. It was that day I made my pledge of allegiance to him.

  • What worries you?
Well, I am concerned at the behavior of our guests from Earth. I am also concerned for the welfare of my daughter. But nothing really worries me.

Um, well...why is it no one's telling me what's going on? And I wish Sir Isaac didn't act as if he hated me!

  • What's your favourite song?
I love hymns in Chinese but the English language hymn "Amazing Grace" is probably my favorite.

Uh, "Sublime Gracia" is my favorite. Perhaps that's the same as Simon's favorite, b-but in Spanish.

  • What's your favourite food?
There's a mung bean soup I like. But I'm not picky about food.

Sir Evan's eyebrows scrunch together in puzzlement. I eat whatever's put in front of me.

  • What do you think of the other characters?
I'm not sure this question makes sense to me. God is love. As his son, I love all.

Uh, I-I love Madam Susan...and my Lord, if the truth be told. I love my friend Sir Josiah and my horse Gallant. I admire Sanchez...and Sir Isaac. I wish I knew what I have done to displease him so! And, well, the rest I deal with as needed, with no ill will. Even the Heretic King.

  • What do you think should happen?
I think our Earth guests should accept our love and kindness and join Colony Zero of their own free will.

Well, uh, I think...the Heretic King should restore the pilgrimage. My Lord Pederson should win the war. And I would like the hand of the Lady Rebecca--oh, I forgot to mention her above, didn't I? That was a mistake. I hope she doesn't mind...

  • Are you happy right now?
Yes. Of course.

I'm-I'm kind of nervous right now, to tell the truth. I'm not comfortable meeting new people, such as yourself. But, uh, but I would not say that I am not content. I am content. Really.

  • What do you hope to do with your life?
To serve as I have been served. To raise my daughter well.

Sir Evan leans in closer and whispers his last comment. I think I would like to be a lord myself someday. If God so wills it.


(I hope you enjoyed meeting a couple of my characters--it's off topic from my normal story idea theme, except for the notion that there's nothing that keeps an author from having separate story universes interact with one another.)

ttp

2 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job of capturing both men. I have read both books so I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Tracy. I appreciate that. :)

      Delete